1890 Blüthner Piano. The piano was built c.1890 by the Blüthner Piano Company in Leipzig, Germany, under the leadership of Julius Blüthner, who founded the company in 1853. Blüthner pianos of this period were especially prized; French composer Claude Debussy expressed ecstatic enthusiasm for his own Blüthner piano, and declared it his favorite make of piano. Blüthner’s pianos had a uniquely luminous and transparent sound, resulting from several innovations, including the ‘Aliquot string’: each treble note has a fourth string, tuned an octave higher, that vibrates sympathetically with the primary pitch. The Blüthner Piano Company is still producing pianos today.